06 August, 2007

Munich Tea Party

A good friend came to Freising this morning for a walk around the town. We had a delightful brunch in a coffee house and then wandered off (i.e., took a train) to Munich.

tea_munich

She has an appointment at the doctor's, thus I have an hour to catch up on various emails and blogs on my google reader list.


Our conversation has been very lively so far and informative. In the course of one hour, she mentioned two essential matters concerning my citizenship and about my future career change.


Apparently, I might be at risk of losing my Canadian citizenship if I do not "clear up" the situation. It appears that Canadian citizens born abroad long ago ( in my case in Venezuela late 1950s), who have not been Canadian residence for a while (I've been living in Germany for 25 years), stand the risk of having their Canadian citizenship retracted. Don't know if this is true, but it is worth looking into.


Secondly, my friend explained certain points of the complicated German pension system, which will give me much more freedom of movement when seeking employment over the next twenty years. My present work contract runs out at the end of this month. The idea of reorienting my choice of career is daunting, yet, with this critical piece of information, a few new doors have opened up.


We could, though we won't, talk about nothing for the rest of this Munich tea party and my visit would be well worth the effort. It is not often that I am surprised (shocked) by important news and today it has happened twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment