24 August, 2007

Closing Up Shop

Next week is my last week at the university. My contract has been extended three times, which is as far as the rope will stretch. I’ve worked at the research institute for over six years, in two different projects. One was creating e-learning modules for medical computer science students. The last project, my Black Forest cherry chocolate cake, was working with teachers and primary and secondary students; introducing digital media into their curriculum.

We’ve just finished a video (here, sorry video quality not so good as yet) explaining how practically we did the work we did in the schools. There were other aspects to the job: e.g. developing educational software and hardware, carrying out evaluations, giving seminars and workshops, PR, and writing scientific papers. Some of these later tasks were more fun to do than the others, but working in schools was always an interesting learning experience.

Interesting enough, that I am going to pursue teaching (ESL) now that I’m closing up shop in this last career direction. I am a bit apprehensive about taking this new step, for I am more a problem-solving person than a social person. Yet, if the focus for this generation of teachers is to help students learn how to learn, to explore their world with the aid of technology, to discover context and create content, then maybe teaching can be an exciting profession.

This slideshow video on TeacherTube summarises very well what my thoughts about adopting relevant methods for teaching our children to prepare for their futures. It explains very succinctly how we, as parents and educators, can step up and give our children a helping hand. Help them learn to be creative and curious learners.

And, this slideshow video, "Did You Know 2.0?", explains why we all, every single person in so-called western societies, have to wake up when it comes to our children’s education.

Last but not least, please watch this inspiring talk given by Sir Ken Robinson during the TED conference in 2006. I don’t know how often I have mentioned this talk, for I watch it again and again every few months. Each time my spirit rises and my inner resolve to play some small part in educating children increases.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I don't have the time right now to follow your links but I'm not so fond of the educational system myself, and I love being a teacher.

    ReplyDelete