17 October, 2006

Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge

In the last week or so, I’ve been the reciprocator of several delightful, delectable winks from people in the service sector (e.g. waiters or salespersons). The first time it happened was with a young waiter, who winked at me after he served me a café latte and a bit of repartee. I was a tiny bit shocked (he literally could have been my son), a bit thrilled (When was the last time a stranger, a handsome one at that, winked at me?), and somewhat perplexed (Was his job at the café so monotonous that a kind word from a customer warrant such a response?). Initially, I filed the episode under the label of “Latin type”, for he was from southern Europe. In the proceeding days though, this happened three times more: once from a woman.

Their winks are lovely, light, we-are-in-this-together sort of winks, and couldn’t possibly be construed as being lascivious. Though, admittedly, I’d go for lascivious at this point in my life.

You know what I think this is all about: for all the winkers have been young (20s), attractive, chic, self-confident people? I think the young Germans are leaning a new way to say Thank You! Which is sooooo refreshing. (Those of you who’ve visited Germany or who live here, know what a wonderful and rare this thing would be from people in the service sector.)

No comments:

Post a Comment