13 February, 2008

Learning Through Failure

lights03

Something has to shift in my collage making. I worked on the collage above for a few hours yesterday and just couldn't get it to work. It is supposed to be a collage about winter rain, frost, midst, and dancing lights. The blue is too forced. The golden yellow not enough. The leaves and umbrella thing doesn't work. The frosted leaves and dancing lights, only marginally. All in all a failure.

This has been happening more and more these last weeks. For every one that gets posted there are two or three that don't. Even if I am trying to be relaxed about this, I'm not.

We learn by our failures, right? Well, I'm not sure what I can do differently with this particular collage or the others that have been trashed, so I think it is time to step back and look at some Photoshop tutorials. I'm not good at following recipes of any sorts, but I can find inspiration just looking or reading about other peoples creative work.

3 comments:

  1. Although I can sense your frustration, I can't help but be fascinated with this glimpse into your artistic process. I really enjoy your collages. The choices of subjects, composition, and colors seem a bit magical to me. I know you'll figure this little impasse out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Chris! It might be a frustrating place in your process, but you'll come through it and find something even more magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others, this might be the phase before the next breakthrough. But then go and look at photoshop tutorials, only make sure that you don't submerge yourself into them up to the point where you don't make collages anymore because you think that you have to get photoshop first.

    (You probably already know this but I have seen a lot of artists getting stuck on "I have to master the technique first.")

    ReplyDelete