05 February, 2008

Gratitude Fed By Inspiration

A fellow, Chris, I met recently is searching for a way to be more grateful and less critical with his life. I suggested to him that it is easy to feel gratitude when you feel inspired or excited about your life.

As many of you know, I get inspired by listening to inspiring people talk about their passions. A dense source of such talks can be found at TED Talks. I originally told Chris I would send him a list of four or five of the TED Talks presentation, which are my favourites. Below is a list of seven of them. And, honestly, they are only a drop in the bucket of excellent talks. My favourites list composes of probably 20 or more. Obviously, I can't suggest all of them. So, here are seven off that list:

Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?

Jeff Hawkins: Brain science is about to fundamentally change computing

Larry Lessig: How creativity is being strangled by the law

Evelyn Glennie: How to listen to music with your whole body

Majora Carter:Greening the ghetto

Vilayanur Ramachandran: A journey to the center of your mind

Lakshmi Pratury: The lost art of letter-writing

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you! What a wonderful variety. I think I will start this evening with Evelyn Glennie, who has just fascinated me since we took our budding percussionist to see her several years ago. She came on stage bare-footed, the better to "hear" the music ...

    I am really looking forward to these talks! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, thank you from me too. That reminds me to finally have a look at the "does education kill creativity"-talk. You have been mentioning it earlier and I never watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched the Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity? talk. Boy, that one hits a little close to home. As a little guy, our youngest son loved art. But he was also good in math and science, so his engineer parents steered him in that direction. After all, if you want to get into a good college ... Fortunately, he rediscovered his aptitude and joy for drawing and sculpting during high school. He just loves it, and now may well study digital media design in college. But we almost kept him away from his passion so he could "get a good education". I wish I had heard this talk when he was little!

    ReplyDelete