17 February, 2008

Wechseljahre

I was talking to a friend this afternoon about matters of growing up (my daughter) and growing old (me). We were discussing whether my daughter’s yearning to experience something new is stronger than those of mine for something different in my life.

So many of the women I know, who are my age, are asking themselves, “What next?” or “Is this it?” In German, the word for menopause in “Wechseljahre”. This is interesting because the word’s literal translation is then years to shift, alternate, replace, modify.

In my imagination I see menopause as a pause or a suspension: perhaps from being young. Whereas, once again in my imagination, I see “Wechseljahre” as years of transition or modification. Somehow it seems much more loving.

I know my German friends, particularly Tine and Susanne, are probably shaking their heads at this linguistically wild interpretation. For, undoubtedly, menopause is menopause whatever the language, and not weighted with any positive or loving connotations. Still, it nice to live under the illusion.

3 comments:

  1. I found it intriguing that you know this is your 666th post.

    That question, “Is this it?”, is not one that I actively ask, but it hangs out in the background anyway, just out of sight, relentless ...

    Oh wait ... this is a menopause post, I guess I should be on my way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me "Wechseljahre" is about changing into a new state of life (you know I didn't realize that I might be your friend Susanne who reads this blog until now). The connotation in German is not positive but it should be.

    I think that "Wechseljahre" traditionally implies that you are changing into a state of not being as feminine anymore. I resent that, of course.

    I always try to think of those cultures where menopause means that you have grown wise and respected.

    So, I don't shake my head because if you just take the word "Wechseljahre" is indeed more loving and implies a process, something that is going on for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and congrats on you 666th post. The number of the beast indeed.

    ReplyDelete