03 April, 2007

Inspiration or Direction

About eighteen years ago, I took a sabbatical (a year off work) to do some sailing: Scotland, France, Spain, Canary Islands, cross to Grenada, and the islands off Venezuela and some of the Venezuelan coast. The whole journey was done at a leisurely pace, in various stages, with different crews, and over ten-months time.

It was truly a magical year and the experience taught me much about appreciating the diversity of cultures, and, more importantly, survival: learning to share a small place with other people, and learning to make the most of it. Yet, looking back, the moments of complete happiness and contentment occurred when I became Small. When the beauty and magnitude of nature was so apparent, it filled me with elation.

Being on the ocean for weeks and weeks and not encountering any other human beings convinced me that earth/nature just might be so mighty as to be able to survive the often destructive or inappropriate behaviour of the human race. And for a while, I held onto this hope. Yet, slowly, inevitably, and inconveniently (here) I realised that our planet is at risk of not surviving.

Even though I believe intrinsically that human beings are good, I do not always have faith that we are smart. It is so difficult to know whether the information we receive about global warming, excessive wastes, animal extinction, etc. is correct. And so often, if correct, the information does not offer us any viable alternatives. The information points the finger, but only the finger of blame, and not in the direction we should be pursuing. It would be so wonderful to find some inspiration or direction about where such viable alternatives might be found.

Yesterday, I watched this video presentation, by Janine Benyus, which she gave at TED 2005. She asks questions such as, “How does life make things? How does life make the most of things? How does life make “things” disappear into systems?” She comes up with twelve natural (biological) phenomena, which could possibly help us to solve twelve (or more) distinctly human-created volatile ecological problems.

She says, “Learning about the natural world is one thing. Learning from the natural world, that’s the switch. That is the profound switch.” This made me feel so elated; knowing that the beauty and magnitude of nature can led us in the direction we need to follow.

Please look at the video and tell me what you think.

(Note: I found the introduction of the presentation quite annoying. Ms. Benyus’ attempt to “sex up” the topic didn’t ring true with me. But, do persist, for what she is saying is very fascinating, though how she says it doesn’t always hit the mark.)

No comments:

Post a Comment