18 December, 2008

Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker

snowball03

My late childhood and teen Christmases were spent dancing various rolls for The Nutcracker at the large theatre in Montreal with Les Grand Ballets Canadiens. We started rehearsals in September. We had our normal daily course load, as well as extra rehearsals, which meant that we were at the studios All The Time. It also meant, I suppose, that I heard the music thousands of times.

The performances started about a week before Christmas and carried through with matinées and evening performances from Christmas to New Year’s Day.

As to the roles I danced, just about all except the solo roles. When young we got to play “the children” and we worked our ways up to “the angels”, “the lambs” (Les Grand Ballets Canadiens had a storyline twist to their version), “the snowflakes”, and “the waltzing plums” … actually, I seem to forget what those roles last corps de ballet were; I doubt we were the snowflakes or waltzing plums.



For many years, anytime I heard even the opening notes to any of the musical pieces of The Nutcracker, I’d run in the opposite direction. Yet, I love this video because it sort of treats Tchaikovsky’s music with sound portions of gusto and irreverence. Tchaikovsky would turn in his grave. And that thought makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Nutcracker but I only see it once a year when our local ballet company dances it. I can imagine how it would wear on you. This video is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:31 pm

    Wow, another talent, what do you NOT do?!

    That's a great video, thank you!

    Have you hear of Maurice Sendak's choreography of The Nutcracker, with it's amazing sets and costumes? I think it's done mostly in Seattle. Once you see that, the traditional ones seem rather boring.

    By the way, er... I think you are using the French word 'roll' for the English 'role'.

    ReplyDelete