09 December, 2008

Glitches in Tastefulness

Generally, Germans collectively and individually tend towards delicate tastefulness when it comes to their Christmas decorations.
DSC_4034
The trees lining the streets are strewn with white fairy lights.
DSC_4039
The window decorations are often made of natural materials, like wood, or plants, glass or cloth.
DSC_4038
Definitely, not the colourful plastic glaring glitter I so well remember from my Canadian childhood. (Sigh.)

Even so, there are a few glitches in tastefulness to be discovered in Luebeck.

A carousel squished in between a beautiful cathedral and historical monuments of the Middle Ages.
DSC_4020
Or, how do like the new fashion of seat warmers looking like St. Nicolas’ hat?
DSC_4023
“Special”, wouldn’t you say?

Note: I wrote this last Saturday, on St. Nicolas’ Day. A joyous celebration, when children wake to their boots filled with candy and small treats. Well, that is in most households. St. Nick actually showed up in our household after lunch. He must have been busy elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting to me, because I have this feeling that Christmas decorations get worse every year. Almost everybody has glittering, blinking lights in there yards, and you see balcony-climbing-Santas by the dozen.

    Thank you for those pictures.

    (And I'm sorry I haven't been around, I'm really pressed for time these days.)

    ReplyDelete