29 September, 2007

My School Pal, Ann

My pal, Ann, is celebrating her 50th birthday this weekend. In Montreal. Sadly, I cannot attend. I wish I were there to witness the festivities, because Ann is one of the most outrageously audacious people I’ve ever had the privilege to know. I hope she and hers have a wild and wonderful time.

I’ll tell one story, only one, about Ann and her audacity:

When Ann and I were in grade ten, our biology teacher, Miss Templeton, was given the task of teaching us (an all girl class) the facts of life. Miss Templeton managed to teach us the complete reproduction process (yes, that is what she called it), without once mentioning male or female genitalia. Quite a feat. One that did not escape our attention.

One or two of us tried to pose leading questions, which would put Miss Templeton in a precarious situation of naming body parts. She always managed to outmanoeuvre us. Ann took the direct approach. “Oh, oh” Miss Templton”, she yelled out, waving her arm rigorously up in the air. “Yes, Ann”, our teacher responded, “What is it?” Ann looked up very innocently and asked, “Is it pronounced clitorIS or cliTORris?”

To you, Ann, may you, your friends and your family have a helluva time!

1 comment:

  1. And, did your teacher manage to wiggle out of this one too?

    ReplyDelete