20 September, 2007

Changing Perspective

corrigated_roof
I went to a women's organization to find out whether or not there is any concrete thought of changing the discriminatory (in my opinion) regulation about not hiring people as teachers who are older than 39 years old.

It was an interesting talk. There have been some new laws put through in the last while on a European level. The person I was consulting didn't know how long it would take for changes to occur on a national or regional level. I wonder what it takes for the legal and governmental bodies to see eye-to-eye on such matters. And, how can citizens help them to change their perspectives?

2 comments:

  1. I interviewed with an agency in Frankfurt and they badgered me mercilessly when I refused to tell them my age. Why is it relevant? I asked, over and over again. Husband told me that in Austria, there are no laws against age discrimination which is why I was seeing employment ads with the age specified. I was very aggravated by that. Still am, even though I'm not there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame. People have been starting to think that once you're 50 you won't find work anymore.

    There should be laws against that.

    ReplyDelete