16 March, 2007

Pssst!

Pssst! Over here… I just spontaneously combusted into a Boston Legal junkie. In the last two days I have gone on a Boston Legal rush: I saw the whole first season in this short, but intense period of time. My brain is mush.

A friend of mine came back from a six-month trip to New Zealand and Australia with a few tips about American drama series. None of the Grey Anatomy and Heroes for her, no, she suggested Boston Legal. For all I know, this could be such a passé series, but the first time around it was quite a ride.

Admittedly, I found William Shatner very irritating, but the rest of the cast had their moments. James Spader was highly intriguing. Nature Girl doesn’t like him at all (she only saw bits and pieces when asking for meals and permission for computer time and found him mean). Nomad Son and I just adored him. Why do charm and mystique and intelligence win out every time over moral and ethical ambiguity? Or, at least in American drama series.

And, can you imagine my delight at seeing Odo, Rene Auberjonois in the series. He was one of my favourites in the Deep Space Nine series. Strange, but like William Shatner in Boston Legal, I found Avery Brooks as Commander Benjamin Sisko the true weak link in the series. Maybe I have problems with the top boss character in general. Or maybe these two guys don’t share more then two dimensions between the two of them. Or, a third possibility is they just can’t act well.

No comments:

Post a Comment