20 September, 2006

Feeling Pretty and Witty and Gay

I’ve been such a valiant cyclist this week: I’ve taken the “scenic route” five times already and it is only Wednesday! This mightn’t indicate a revolution in my fitness plan, but it does make me feel damm good.

I wanted to write about certain episodes that have occurred while travelling along the path of the nature reserve, but I thought I’d wait until I picked up the new photos I took. Unfortunately, they forgot to copy the film onto a CD as I’d asked; they only developed them on photos paper. Some of the photos are quite lovely, so, if I find a spare hour this weekend, I’ll scan some and put them in the blog.

The three things that I remember from this week are:

Passing a group of elderly women doing their morning exercises in a field near the woods. Instead of using flex bands to reach and pull, they used pieces of thin garbage bags cut to the proper length. Not only is the plastic material resilient and easily replaceable, if damaged, they can also be used as an improvised rain cap if need be.

A woman whose unleashed Rottweiler is running far ahead of her, yells at it, while I cycle directly towards the beast, “Brutus, be nice. Be nice!” Now, can you tell me what sort of BS is “be nice” for a command? What is “nice” in the mind of a Rottweiler? Don’t chomp down to the bone? Be playful, not vicious? In the end, I just stopped pedalling and glided by the dog, without making any eye contact. I’ve heard eye contact amongst dogs, signals aggression. Even when my eyes are saying, “I am petrified of you!”

There was a mighty autumn wind on Tuesday afternoon that created a rustling, rasping, sizzling song from the beech trees bordering the riverside.

No comments:

Post a Comment