28 September, 2006

Amazing Coincidences

Nomad Son is going to do a two week apprenticeship in the Paediatric Ward at the university hospital as of Monday. Time is running out and a lot of the formalities have yet to be cleared. So, I offered to drop by the secretary’s office and hand in some of the required forms for him.

(If nothing else Germans love to come up with complicated processes tacked with endless formalities and stipulations. Yet, having said that, I don’t know many countries where a 16 year old would be allowed to do a two week apprenticeship in the pre-natal and children’s surgery.)

The secretary was a very charming woman and asked, as most do, where I come from and how long I’ve been living in Germany, and whether I go home (to Canada) very often. I told her that since my mother lives in the Caribbean, we have the great pleasure of visiting her often there and, unfortunately, do not get to go to Canada to visit my siblings very often.

I stood up to leave and happened to look at her bookcase and discover the desktop calendar I made seven years ago sitting on one of the shelves! It turns out that she likes the calendar so much for the pictures, that she never threw it away and just reuses it from year to year. We had such a laugh over that.

I was dumbfounded at the coincidence of mentioning how my mother lives in the Caribbean and then the next moment seeing the September photo of mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment