05 September, 2015

Top 5 Misconceptions about Life in Germany


Recently a dear friend asked me to list some of the false assumptions I had when I first arrived in Germany from Canada over 30 years ago. To set the scene... I was in my mid-twenties carrying a recently acquired electrical engineering degree under my arm. I had visited friends in Germany numerous times during my studies. They worked in German theatres (story for another time) as dancers, actors and musicians, and all those wonderful visits convinced me that Germany was the place I wanted to be.

There were also numerous international medical equipment companies, the field of my choice, located here. So after graduation, I packed my two bags and flew over one fine October day in 1982 to build a new life in Europe. The fact that I didn’t speak any German did not deter me.

Which brings me to Misconception #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment