17 April, 2009

Don’t quite know what to think

Recently, an ex German girl band pop star was charged with “attempted grievous bodily harm” for having unprotected sex with three men between 2004 and 2006 without mentioning to them that she was HIV positive.

I really didn’t know what to think about the whole situation. First, I didn’t realise you could be charged for doing so (sentence up to 10 years possible). Intellectually, it does seem like a viable conclusion for putting someone’s life at risk. But, the Big-Brother-is-watching-you side of me finds the whole situation disconcerting.



(Sorry, couldn't find this video in English. If any of you can help me here with the link, I'd be very appreciative.)

Then there is the part of me who finds the whole fact ludicrous that a woman should be accused of having unprotected sex with a man, as if it isn’t his job to see that he uses a condom.

What do you think? Read an article about it here.

2 comments:

  1. I share your viewpoint. Frankly, I think if I ever were HIV-positive, I'd be hard-pressed to even think about sex again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are pros and cons to this argument, but I think this promiscuous woman and should be charged. She has knowingly put the lives of three men in danger just as much as if she cut them and left them to bleed to death. Wouldn't that be murder in the second degree?

    Yes, they should have used a condom and were exposing themselves to risk, but she knew what she was doing and they were not made aware of the real danger.

    I think that this is not a big brother issue, but one of breaking the law and the law is there to stop a medical epidemic.

    ReplyDelete