25 June, 2007

The Law of Give and Take

I believe in the law of give and take. Not the law of equal give and take, just the law of give and take. It is important to know where you stand on both matters. How easily do you find it to give to others? How graceful are you on the receiving line?

In the last few days I’ve given:

Time
Creative energy
Patience
A shoulder to lean on
Professional encouragement
A well formulated letter of reference

… to friends, acquaintances, and even a few strangers. It is really amazing just how many things you can give. I particularly like to find interesting ways to give (modest amounts of) money, in a no-emotional-strings-attached way.

When I started working 25 years ago, I decided to donate, loan, or use a certain small percentage of my yearly income towards different originations, causes, or people. It’s been a learning process: knowing who, when, and how to redistribute this money.

I used to give money and not loan it. My father always said, don’t loan any money that you wouldn’t be willing to lose. So, loaning money didn’t seem an interesting prospect. I changed my thinking once I learnt about micro financing businesses.

It is very interesting to read the short reports of businesses asking for loans. What speaks of good business practices? Today, the businessman I first lent money to managed to pay back the full some of his loan: exactly six months to the day of his expected 6-12 month loan period. So this evening, my children and I sat down and looked at some new potential business we can give a loan to. It is wonderful to see their interest in micro financing grow.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:29 am

    I didn't know about Kiva. Very interesting! Thanks for the information.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check it out, links to kiva seem to sprout up everywhere.

    Giving is quite easy for me, receiving is a little harder. I don't like to keep track on a personal level. I figure it will all come around someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:09 am

    Thanks for the post and I have to agree with you. It's always good to give, value into peoples lives always creates a sense of happyness

    ReplyDelete