01 July, 2006

OK, I Take It Back

OK, I take it back. I do want the Germans to win the World Cup.

Last night, in a hotel bar in Stockholm, I was sitting with a group of about twenty men from all sorts of countries, watching the Germans and Argentineans stand solemnly (in the case of the Argentineans) and sing (in the case of the Germans) their national anthems. And tears came to my eyes when I looked at the faces of the Germans and nothing happened when I looked at the faces of the Argentineans. In that moment, I realised I wanted the Germans to win the game.

Oddly enough, so did the Greeks, Swedes, Brits, Americans, and Italians that were watching the match with me. OK, maybe not at the beginning of the game, but certainly, by the time the Germans finally tied that game 1:1, everyone of the fellows in the hotel bar were saying the Germans had to win.


So, now I figure, if they are in the semi-finals, they might as well go to the finals, and, heck, sure, they should also win.

No comments:

Post a Comment