12 June, 2006

Moving Outside Of My Box

I am a bit daunted by all I have to do in the next few weeks: give a presentation/lecture next Monday on the theme of women and computer gaming, give a presentation and hold a discussion with the English teaching staff of a local high school on the theme of media literacy, help organize and run this big KiMM Live 2006 event, and prepare and give a presentation at a conference on mobile learning. Each and every one of these challenges I have done on the occasion, but never on mass, and never with any degree of confidence. I have the feeling of stepping out of my comfortable box.

The presentation next Monday will be interesting because I am trying to take the advice of many of the bloggers I have come to admire (here, here, and here). As far as I can gather, they say it is not possible even to follow the previously accepted 6-8 items listed on the page. They say, contrarily, lots of images and diagrams, and then just speak freely, concisely, humorously, and passionately about my topic. This of me: who has been known to prepare a full length script!

The only presentation, of the three that I have to give, where I think I stand a chance of doing this, is the one next week about women and computer gaming. I have a super idea about what a popular computer game for women should look like. Most of the persons (guys) attending the seminar like and respect me as a colleague; though why they do this remains somewhat of a mystery. I am confident that I can woo my two esteemed female colleagues because they are not only technically insightful people, but also like a bit of craziness as well.

So, I’ve chosen to do this seminar/presentation speaking freely. Sure, I will rehearse it, but I will try to go in without any written notes. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment