09 May, 2006

Frightening experience

While driving home on my bicycle this afternoon, a young woman punk (referring to her choice of clothing) shoved me off my bicycle and gave me a few belts around my head (thank heavens I was wearing my bicycle helmet). 

You might well ask what I did to deserve such treatment; I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

A young man riding his bicycle in front of me shoved this woman off the bicycle path as he was riding by, for this woman had refused to leave the path. There’s a strict division of pedestrian sidewalks and bicycle paths in our city. The woman shouted profanity at this fellow, turned around and shoved me as I was riding by on the bicycle.

When I got off the bicycle, she started to prance around me like a boxer and proceeded to box my head. Surprisingly, I wasn’t scared and just stared into her eyes, grabbed her hitting arm and asked her what the heck she thought she was doing. Two old ladies who witnessed this scene came running to my assistant. The one lady took out her cell phone to call the police.

I told her that I just wanted to leave, and so they went as well, but not before telling the punk that they were not at all pleased with her behaviour.

About one hundred meters down the way a police car approached me in the opposite direction. I asked the policemen to pull over and told them about the incident. I drove back on my bicycle, and they followed in their car to see whether we could find the woman, only to discover that there was a large police van already on the scene.

Apparently, this woman's and a group of fellow punks' behaviour had already been reported to the police. I asked “my” policeman whether I should report myself to the other policemen in case they needed witnesses. The policeman asked whether this woman had caused me “serious injury or humiliation”. I said no, but she had scared me shitless (not the word I used in German). He smiled at this and said I could go home.

Now, about an hour later, my legs have stopped shaking, and I look back, and I like three things about the incident:

1. I wasn’t scared. I defended myself by holding her arm still.
2. I just love the two elderly ladies charging up to rescue me.
3. The fact that sometimes there are police there when you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment