20 May, 2023

Upcycling

 A few months ago, we did some sorting out in our apartment. We gathered nearly three full moving cartons of books, DVDs and CDs. Usually, I would have brought these things to our local Oxfam.

Since we were dorting throughout the weekend when stores were closed,  I decided to see whether there was any space in the community book closet down the street from where we live. I went there with one bag full and was delighted to see there was enough space, but not a lot. Enough though, to put in what was in my bag. 

The next day I passed by the book closet, I noticed again, there was quite a bit of empty space. I came back with two bags of books this time. These also disappeared over night. Then I stepped it up a bit, and put some of the DVDs and CDs there. They also disappeared. 

I began to suspect that it wasn't the avid readers in our neighbourhood who were taking the stuff but perhaps someone who was selling them to supplement their income. It cheered me to think of this new upcycling scheme. Since that time, I have brought a bag or two more of stuff and placed it there. 

Today as my partner and I were walking through the pedestrian zone, we passed a houseless person sitting at "their" corner. Instead of an empty cup placed next to the sign asking for money, they had set up an area where they could display a selection of books, DVDs and CDs beside their empty cup. And voila, they were our stuff. The sign now says, "Please pay whatever you want!" I was so chuffed that I could help someone without having to go to Oxfam.

What I wonder is if they are getting more money selling stuff to passer-byes than they were before. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment