12 November, 2020

Feeling grown up

 

A friend answered the question "What experience or moment made you feel like you were finally a grown up?" so....
I would like this answer to be more profound or quirky, but not having to rely on a monthly allowance from my parents felt like I was finally a "real" grown up. I know equating financial independence with growing up is a bit of a tired narrative, but I didn't see it as a "final step of liberation" from them. Rather, previously I saw money (or lack thereof) as a trigger for my anxiety, making this a topic I never wanted to talk or learn about.
Finally having some of my own money coincided with so many other "grown up" developments such as paying rent and bills and student loans, getting my first job, etc. And yet, just being in change of my own money, organizing my budget, saving up and learning about financial intelligence has made me feel more grown up and in-charge of my life.

* This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.   

No comments:

Post a Comment