This year has certainly been a roller coaster ride between breathless optimism and existential worries of looming failure. I thought I would write down my Top Five Lessons about being self-employed during economical times like these:
- Even at my age, I am capable of regularly and frequently working 12-hour days.
- Even after all my business experience, it is necessary sometimes to start with the modest contracts and build from there.
- Even if the media says otherwise, social media does not rule; word-of-mouth, person-to-person, face-to-face, straight-from-the-heart, are all top strategies for building a loyal customer network.
- Even if the economy is in crisis, people want to do their jobs well and are willing to pay if I can help them do that.
- Even though everyone is far too busy, it is surprising, and touching, people's willingness to find time to help me move forward.
To those of you who helped me learn these lessons, I am so very grateful for your enduring patience. Thank you so much.