17 January, 2007

Baby Steps

When I was younger, I found the whole idea of quantum leaps, in reference to both the phenomenon in physics and personal development, extremely interesting. Somewhere in my twenties, I suspected that quantum leaps, paradigm shifts, even shifts in consciousness, conviction, or in priorities, did not actually result in conclusive or long term changes in life practices. A good friend of mine at that time slowly introduced me to the concept of Baby Steps.

Today I read a very interesting article in one of my favourite blogs called, “I will teach you to be rich” (here), which essentially says the same thing: if we hope to change anything, then it will be through a lifetime of exercising little steps.

I took a little step this past Monday. I went to my first yoga class. Something I haven’t done in nearly two years. A baby step. It is difficult to do justice to the quiet joy that welled up in my heart, as I did the introductory breathing exercises. One yoga class is an insignificant indicator of resolve or restoration of balance, but this quiet gesture lights the way towards next Monday’s class.

Reading blogs daily from people of diverse backgrounds and topics of interest (here, here, here, here, here, and here) quietly lights up different intellectual routes to follow. It is difficult to explain the appeal of blogs to friends who have written off blogs as being trivial or dubious in delivering factual information. In the last three of four years, bloggers have shown me new areas to explore. Think. Learn. Laugh. Reflect. Rejoice. Inquire. Comment. Converse. Participate. Emulate. What a wondrous journey it has been so far. And, just when I get to the point that I fear stagnation or uninspired writing, a surprise awaits somewhere in the blogsphere, to lift me up and away.

For those of you who are familiar with the seductively delightful qualities of the blogsphere, this is nothing new. For those of you who persist in ignoring the charms and potential of this wonderful medium: tant pis.

No comments:

Post a Comment