21 July, 2024

#booksIlove: Running in the family

Title: Running in the family, by Michael Ondaatje
When I read it first: during the phase I was quite obsessed with him in the 1980s

Running in the Family is the perfect book for anyone who dreams of life in exotic countries farfar away in other times. Those of you who (half-) lived in smoldering suburbs or small-town insignificance, like I did, will be enthralled with Ondaatje's autobiography.

It reads simply and powerfully. It is as if Ondaatje was always a great writer, a force to reckon with, even at the beginning of his career. He took a pause in his fiction writing and looked at himself and his family through that rarified lens of his creative soul.

I envy anyone who has not gone down the rabbit hole of his writings. What a discovery that is! I remember pacing myself with his books, not wanting them to come to an end. There was a part of me that wanted to wolf them down in one swallow, but thankfully, there was also another part of me that wanted to slowly savour every word separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment