11 March, 2023

Krazy kismet or sensational serendipity?

I tripped over an article in this month's German Vogue. The two founders of Fein Games are interviewed about their goal of feminizing the gaming market. Their target groups are feminists and non-binary persons. I love it! This is exactly the market that I was writing gaming scripts for in the early 2000s. How sensational is that?

A few months ago, after a conversation with my daughter, who mentioned the 90s and early 2000s are back in mode, I decided to revisit those scripts. I had not read them for good 10-15 years. I wondered whether they were still interesting or not.
 
I read them with much trepidation but was heart-warmingly surprised that the characters and storylines hold. And what was most surprising was the target group that I was writing for at that time was a feminist/diverse/non-binary group. Who knew? There wasn't even any awareness that such a target group existed back then.
 
So, I've decided to try again to find a game developer to produce one of the scripts. This is something I have tried to do twice before. 

The first time, I managed to pitch Sydney Soap and Talkshow Rivals to the Japanese publisher's (think S**y) marketing department at their London office. The PS2 was just out, and they were looking at gaming ideas that would appeal to women (who were thought of as a niche market back then). 

They invited me to meet with their R&D department to see if they were interested in producing Talkshow Rivals. The only thing I remember about that experience was that it was exciting to meet people who shared my vision of smart, fun gaming for women.
 
Alas, they might have shared my vision, but they ultimately turned down to project because they said it would be too expensive to produce.

The second time I pitched, I ended up meeting someone who was more into television than games. We worked on a treatment and script for an interactive murder mystery called "Doubting Alice" (English working title) or "Ein Toter und zwei Mörder" (German working title). He pitched the show to one of the German public television channels. They said, once again, "good idea, but too expensive to produce".

My hope is now there are so many easy ways to produce games that do not need a huge budget; my time has finally come around. The third time's the charm, right?

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:30 am

    Third time is definitely a charm, looks like it's the right time!

    ReplyDelete