18 September, 2022

Trying to talk about my privilege (1/4)

How would I describe myself?

"curious, open-minded geek"

The words I use can be seen through the lens of privilege. Starting with "curious, open-minded geek"; I became so through the privilege of education. I attended good primary and secondary schools. 

I was able to go to a co-op university, where I could earn enough during work terms to pay for tuition, room and board during our study semesters. I did not have to take out student loans. 

Generally, during this time in the 1970s, the tuitions in Canadian universities were not exorbitant. I recently came across a document from that time where it stated the tuition for one semester was around 700 dollars. Still, because of my middle-class upbringing, I could go to university without financial worry.  

My family environment also played a big role. My father and grandfather were very hands-on engineers, and they instilled in me a love of technology. My mother, though a technophobe, was a veracious reader, and she fed my love of books and helped me always to explore other worlds.

Lastly, I have spent all my adult life having access to various technology from the moment they were invented. I could not always afford the technology, but I found ways to use open-source technology and buy more generic devices that were not high-brand.

Is there any way to describe oneself that does not leave some aspect of privilege aside?

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment