28 January, 2006

Favourites

Some of my favourite in-laws are due to come here later on today. I have eight brother-in-laws or sister-in-laws, all with partners (except one brother-in-law) and most with a selection of children. It makes for a wealth of personalities, conflicting dynamics, and a continuing stream of gossip.

It’s nice to have such a vast selection of in-laws because I can pick and nurture Favourites. Yes, from a political point of view or even a Christian point of view, this is just not done. I am well aware of that. But, from my limited viewpoint, it is a delight to be able to pick who I like the best from a slew of candidates. It’s like participating in the television series of “Family Super Star,” and I am the jury, audience, and sole voter. What could be more fun?

Most of my friends have a durst of in-laws: an occasional brother-in-law or a niece living in a city far away. What a pitiful situation this is. Often, my divorced friends continue, through desperation, to nurture relationships with ex-in-laws. And everyone looks on and smiles a frozen smile of insipid sympathy instead of just leading their friend away to find a new life. If they are lucky, they might discover a whole new pool of in-laws where they can choose Favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment