04 May, 2021

Desert Days

Daniel said, ‘If the body is strong, the soul weakens. If the body weakens, the soul is strong.” ― Benedicta Ward (Desert Father)

Since a young adult, I have been fascinated with the history and the works of the Desert Fathers and Mothers. The question of how to live the life of a modern urban contemplative has been my companion for over 40 years now. One of the practices that I learnt from a meditation program, where I go on retreats, was to take a Desert Day once a month.

The idea is to pack a small backpack of necessities and leave your front door in the morning, not know where you are going or what you are going to do. I often start such a Desert day by simply walking to the train station and stepping onto the next train leaving the station. Some of those days I travel to new places. Some I walk known paths or sit on one of my favourite benches and watched the time go by.

My husband and I just picked up two sparkling new e-bikes. After a year of not moving out of a 5-10 square kilometer radius (we do not own a car), I yearn to pack a backpack and head out anywhere and everywhere.

Inspired by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)

No comments:

Post a Comment