26 May, 2021

30-day challenge

In our theme year group, we have decided each to do a 30-day challenge. My Year of Freedom challenge is to read or listen to poetry every day. I truly feel as if poetry is a healing balm in life. It quiets pain and soothes suffering. I also believe that whether reading, hearing, or writing poetry, these simple acts are as close as I get to communion.
 
My three most common current sources of poetry are Poetry Unbound podcast, Poetry Archive, and an incredibly old, tattered paperback "Poems of Wang Wei". This later I have had so long and have read so often, it is falling apart as I read it now. Today's poem...
 
Bamboo Grove House (Wang Wei)
 
I sit alone in the dark bamboos
Play my lute and sing and sing
Deep in the woods where no one knows I am
But the bright moon comes and shines on me there.
 
This week's listening highlights... 
 
Matthew Olzmann
Mountain Dew Commercial Disguised as a Love Poem
 
Jean Binta Breeze
The arrival of Brighteye – an extract
 
Hanif Abdurraqib
When We Were 13, Jeff’s Father Left The Needle Down On A Journey Record Before Leaving The House One Morning And Never Coming Back

No comments:

Post a Comment