24 February, 2021

Veil of Elderhood


COVID casts a veil of elderhood over all our lives. Regardless of age, it lets us experience what it is like to be old and vulnerable. It has been a year now of working from home and coping with social isolation. How is this in any way different to how elders live who are long retired and have family far away? 

Until recently, I would tell others that this pandemic is what it feels like when coming off a long retreat. The vividness, the confusion, the sensitivity to over-stimulation, the deep stillness in my heart. Now, after a year, I still often feel this way, but it is also mixed with physical and mental fatigue. Having to daily face changes feeling powerless.

Thank heavens I am young of heart and mind. My body works without pain. If this is what it is like to be old, I better start now learning how to squeeze every drop of joy out of it, regardless.


* This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.

No comments:

Post a Comment