05 February, 2021

Something lost and something found



(This poem describes a wonderous experience I had while travelling on an ICE train rushing towards Berlin.)

The winter is longer then it is deep
Darker then is appropriate
Months and months of dull dense
Greys and browns. I sit in a
Second-class train compartment
Taking myself away from 
My children's constant whining
That they are bored and there is
Nothing to do... speeding towards
Berlin for a weekend alone with 
Strangers in museums and cafés.

I wipe away the condensation from 
The window with the sleeve of my
Fleece jacket. I gaze listlessly out
On to quickly passing towns and fields
In a trance, my eyes see even before
My heart, a field of thousand upon
Thousand of storks, swans, and geese
All standing still in the frozen fields
Resting, resting on their way up north
Ah, there it is, spring!

* This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment