14 February, 2021

As far as the stars reach


 A friend of mine had children early on. That is to say 10 years before I did. She once told me that she would ask her children when they were toddlers, "Do you see what my eyes are saying?" and the children would shout back, "I love you!".

I took it a little further... when I asked my children this, they would repeat a mantra I told them every night before going to bed, "I love you as far as the stars reach, as bright as the sun shines, and million and million times more." This somehow got shortened to "as far as the stars reach" or occasionally, "million of times more". 

I am reminded of this recently while watching a lovely K-romance. In the episode, the main male character (who has loved the female character since he was a child) quotes a poem where the poet writes how he says "Isn't the moon beautiful?" whenever he wishes to say "I love you."

It is one of the things I am happy of as a mother. That my children know they are intensely loved and they are never alone no matter how far a way they live.

* This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment