02 November, 2020

Loneliness and Aloneness


Having left home at 14 and lived on my own until 32 (when my son was born), I have experienced many of the nuanced feelings of loneliness and aloneness single-hood provides. The full gambit... despairing that I would never belong anywhere or to anyone... to sitting on the bow of a boat crossing an ocean and blissfully, joyously, knowing how large the world is and insignificant my concerns. 

What a journey those nearly 20 years of single-hood were. Looking back on them, I am thankful for them. They taught me much, in particular, the valuable lesson about the balance between self-sufficiency and vulnerability. Sometimes I wonder what past life I must have had to come to this world with this lesson to learn.

I am not lonely. I am alone in my being. All the while, forever connected to my family and friends.

* This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment