28 November, 2020

Bamboo forest

(bamboo forest)

I worked for many years as a consultant. To work successfully with a client, it was not only necessary to know what their goals were, but also, I needed insight into how they think. If both aspects of our work were clear, the work was fruitful.

There was one client, an entrepreneur, who believed they were a "free spirit". They did not welcome discussions about internet technology or social media presence, financial plans, or setting long term goals requiring rigorous effort. They believed their business would be successful if their approach was holistic, organic, and it should grow out of their creative efforts.

The crazy thing was, they hired me so they could define a new business plan and mission statement. Their current business was not viable in a changing market.

Every suggestion to create a business model or visualise work processes, was swatted aside. It was frustrating. So, I asked them why they initially decided to work with me.

The answer was because I was an engineer. Everyone knows engineers are practical and solution-oriented. They wanted what I knew, but they did not want to loose their creativity. They did not want to deal with complexities and constraints. 

I told them the reason I could help them was not because I was an engineer, but because I was once a ballet dancer. It is through ballet that I learned the freedom of form and expression within formable constrictions. It is like learning to run, jump and fly in a bamboo forest. After this, we managed to progress.

* This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.        

No comments:

Post a Comment