17 November, 2021

One of Pat's gifts

A friend recommended that we read the stunningly beautiful book, Braiding Sweetgrass together. When I opened up the first pages, I thought of my mother and how very much she would have enjoyed "discovering" this book.

Pat had a gift of finding and gifting books that changed my life. She introduced me to War and Peace when I was a brooding 15-year-old. If I go to my bookshelf and draw out randomly a handful of books from the middle of one shelf, here are the books she sent. Books that I still treasure so many years later:
  • The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, by B. B. Edwards
  • Playing with Water, James Hamilton-Paterson
  • Migrations to Solitude, by Sue Halpern
  • A Country Year, by Sue Hubbell
  • Twelve Years (An American Boyhood in East Germany), by Joel Agee
What a gift my mother had to connect books to people. Over and over, even though we lived in distant countries from each other, she passed on her discoveries.

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)

No comments:

Post a Comment