28 November, 2021

Announcement from Management

Subject line: as of today, all employees who are not vaccinated are to work from home

“How are you doing?”, Lisa asks her colleague, Jane, over Zoom. Jane puts on a brave face, which instantly unfolds into sadness. Unexpected tears brim over and run down her face and drip off her chin. Quiet. Breathe. “You are the first person who asked”, Jane says, still obviously upset. “Really”, Lisa puzzles, “I’m sorry. I can’t image how you’re feeling.” “As if I am walking around with a “Unvaccinated” stamp on my forehead.”

They look at each other across the screen. Lisa wishes she could give her colleague a hug. Jane continues, “I feel so ostracized. Even in our team. If only someone would ask why… I would at least have a chance to explain. It’s the silence from colleagues and friends that is hard to bear. It’s so heavy. I can’t breathe. I wish they would ask why…” 

Lisa listens and after a longer pause she suggests, “Let’s meet up and go for a walk later this week.” “That would be lovely. We could wear masks.”

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)

No comments:

Post a Comment