22 April, 2021

When I felt like an adult

What experience or moment made you feel like you were a grown up?
K.A key experience that made me feel grown up was getting my first real job when I was a sophomore in high school.  My after-school job was working in a shoe store 10 hours a week. I was selling shoes and helping with the basic chores of running the enormous old-fashioned cash register, helping customers, arranging displays, and stocking shelves. All the while getting to know the amazing woman who ran the store for 40 years, having demanded it as part of the divorce settlement after her husband left her.
I earned $1.50 an hour, back in the late 1970s, but the experience it gave me was worth a lot more than that.
(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)

No comments:

Post a Comment