25 November, 2005

First Snow

It might be hard to see the flurry of snow flakes, but they are there. Our first winter snow.
It’s Friday and time to go and luxuriate in a café.

The one café I go to has a non-smoking section. Revolutionary. When the café first opened up, the non-smoking section was at the front of the café: drafty, small tables, uncomfortable upright chairs. I asked the manager why the sofa-section at the back of the café was just for smokers: didn’t they think non-smokers like to laze about?

They kindly made half the sofa-section non-smokers, but it doesn’t work: the smokers still sit in the non-smoking section every hour of the day.

So, I started a new sport. While ordering my coffee, I ask the café employees whether they could please ask the smokers to reseat themselves. And then I go and sit down and watch how ineffectively the employee carries out her job (e.g. informs the customers that this is a non-smoking section, but doesn’t ask them to leave) and how huffy and put-upon the smokers react to the news.

Oh, I know this is petty, but it is better to be petty with a sense of the absurd, than a militant self-righteous non-smoker.

No comments:

Post a Comment