26 September, 2022

Trying to talk about my privilege (3/4)

How would I describe myself?

"gentle gracious elder"

To myself...

To all those years of prickliness... 
Deep cuts in my heart caused by
Caustic words spoken unmeaningly
By distant family and quasi-friends...
Or, in tabloid newspapers headlines,
Read by colleagues in our break room,
Such nastiness washing down the
Last of their breakfast sandwiches...
Or, the slaps of profanity of strangers, 
Yelling and minding my business
When it was not theirs to comment upon...

I was often hurt, certainly angry,
Sometimes I still even rant, but
Mostly, because of you, my dear
Family and friends, I survived and 
Still feel endless gratitude for the
Coming of every dawn.

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment