02 August, 2021

Reverse psychology


Yesterday, was our monthly meet up to discuss our Year of Theme activities and processes. In my case, my year's theme is Freedom. It has been an interesting journey so far. The goal of making Freedom a daily focus has been surprisingly enjoyable and effortless. 

One thing that I would like to grow is a daily mediation practice. This is something that I have done for most of my adult life, but with longer pauses inbetween. There were times when it was a natural part of my day, but that has not been the case for the last 20 months of the pandemic. 

When I asked my friend, Karen, "How have your tastes changed as you have grown older?" she answered such:
 
"Probably a major way my tastes have changed has to do with meditation practice.  My mind became so sensitized that I am no longer interested in many of the books I used to read and movies I used to watch.  It’s surprising to discover how many books and movies are flippant about their characters or about life in general, or they are violent in a way that is meant to be entertaining (what is entertaining about seeing someone in pain?), or they are just no longer interesting because they don’t engage with the larger questions about life and its meaning and purpose."

This has left me with the idea of not indulging in my daily practice of watching YouTube videos for the next few months. Perhaps letting this behind will work reversely and help me back on the cushion.

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash 
(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)

No comments:

Post a Comment