05 May, 2024

I am... an aspiring bookbinder

(Lia's first notebook)

So, my dear friend Christine heard from a friend about a bookbinder who offers courses on bookbinding. Did I want to take a course with her? Sounded like fun, so I said yes, but I did not have any idea what it was going to be like.

Instead of spending the weekend with a group of elderly housewives in a trite community center trying to make small talk, all the while struggling to adhere to the simplest of instructions... 


Christine and I spent a magical few days with Silke, the bookbinder, working in her studio at the side of her house. She was so calm and excited at the same time and told us endless stories about the world of bookbinding. All the while, she gently walked us through the process of making our own notebooks. We couldn't help but become more and more entranced by the art of bookbinding. Now, this is a hobby I would love to do. 

We're starting slow. We've booked another few days in August. I'd like to do some sort of visual overview, a mix of photos, text, and drawings. Let's see if that happens. 

In the meantime, I am looking at all of Ido Agassi's Skillshare videos. Here are a few videos for you to get a taste of how wonderful his work is. 

I'm hooked! 

No comments:

Post a Comment