30 April, 2024

Perks of my job

Perhaps I have mentioned this before… maybe numerous times, but one of the perks of my job is being able to travel and stay in nice hotels. Something that was unthought of when I was a child. I vaguely remember staying at a motel maybe once or twice on the way to visit friends. Yet, maybe it is only my imagination. 

The years of working as a trainer allowed me to travel and to stay in mom and pop B&Bs or something along the lines of trucker motels. These places have their charms because there is always something about the decor and amenities which are shared no matter where the place is located. The morning rooms are always filled with people from all sorts of walks of life. I love sitting there over a long breakfast and make up stories of their lives.

With my current company, for the first time, I have been able to stay in luxury hotels. Or at least what I call luxury. Places where the staff is usually separated into the managers who have been working at the hotel for possibly decades and the new young eager employees who are using this stint as a springboard. No matter the size of the hotel or where it is situated, this younger set of employees are often coming from every corner of the world.

Generally, I find it far more interesting to observe the employees and how they do their jobs and how they work together than I do looking at hotel guests. For as is the case for most service jobs, they often forget there are other people in the room and behave naturally. At the moment there are two women working the reception desk for Sunday morning check out. They probably started hours ago. There are no guests checking out at the moment, so one of the women is do a funny calisthenics routine to get her energy back, while the other looks on laughing. A guest arrives and, pink-cheeked, she reverts back to her role. Good for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment