12 January, 2024

I am... a Kindle reader

Photo by Asal Lotfi on Unsplash

Much to the disgust of many of my friends, I have been a Kindle reader since it came out over 15 years ago. The three arguments that have kept me so are:
  • A lot of what I read is not worth sawing down Canadian forests for
  • I love to read numerous books at once, depending on where I am and what my mood is
  • It is so much easier to read in bed than a book

Nevertheless, a friend of mine, Charlotte, recently published the findings of a study that stated readers of IRL books remember more than when they read e-books. That made sense because I remember handwritten notes much better than typed notes. So, maybe the tactility of books helps the brain to remember more. 

Then there is the fact that our dear daughter spent a laborious two days doing magic on our bookshelves in the living room. I rediscovered a slew of books to read again. And finally, since we have been with Amazon since it was only a bookstore, we have shamefully bought hundreds of books, so we can either reread some of them or order books at our local store.

Now, the punchline to this post...

I was rereading a favourite book of mine and was so enthralled with the story that I caught myself tapping the side of the page instead of turning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment