16 December, 2021

To the dancer in you

Here are three K-pop songs that have given me much much joy. Whenever I need a pick-me-up, they indubitably raise my spirits. I find it fascinating how K-pop artists can sing and dance beautifully and how much they are involved in their art. The more popular artists often write or produce their music. 

The first treat is Move from Taemin (my all-time favorite of K-pop artist). The music video is a piece of art. A masterpiece. They published three music videos simultaneously, each focusing on another aspect of the song. The third one features the Japanese choreographer of the song, Koharu Sugawara, dancing along with Taemin. Brilliant. 

For a second treat, please watch the song Naughty, performed by Irene and Seulgi. Throughout the song, they magnificently use the “tutting” dance style. If you want to concentrate only on the dancing, here you can see them dancing the choreography in a dance studio. 

Finally, one of my favourite music videos last year was 'ON' Kinetic Manifesto by BTS. Not only are the staging and performance exceptional but the choreography is done by Sienna Lalau, a 19-year-old Hawaiian Samoan woman. You can spot her in this dance performance at the beginning. She is the one with purple hair in the center of the drummers/dancers.

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)

x

No comments:

Post a Comment