22 June, 2021

My family tree

The botanical encyclopedia has pages and pages of illustrations of trees with their branches, bark, leaves, and roots. I stare, fascinated at the variety of them, all the colours, shapes and sizes. 

Their root systems, exposed without soil covering, seem oddly, embarrassingly intimate. The exposed roots reveal how nature accommodates the different types of soil, the changing seasons, and the push and pull of the hemispheres.

Momentarily, I ponder the generation after generation of my ancestors who migrated from one country to another, driven on by strife. There were those with deep, narrow roots whose lives were brutally severed by famines or wars. There were my parents’ generation who cut their tethers and sought freedom, or adventure, and, on some rare occasions, wealth.
 
And here I am, a collection of grafts of all their wanderings. I stand tall with bamboo-like agility with roots that are spread wide but never will grow deep.

(This post is part of my "Growing Up & Growing Old" project.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment